Monday, December 31, 2007

CNS Information

Suppose I monitor a major sensory nerve, of type unknown. Would I be able to determine the information in that nerve’s activity without knowing the source or destination of that activity? If line labeling is the correct theory of information content and transport through the specific nervous system then I can not. Perhaps the quantity of excitation or some temporal pattern variations will prove to be a clue, to determine, e.g., whether the signal is auditory or visual. But I can’t know much unless I know the source or the destination of the sigmal.

IMPD again, there is no “you” inside your head, and the above consideration is one of the reasons. We don’t know and can’t control and certainly can’t monitor our own cognitive processes. They just happen, we know the input and the output, nothing in between

No comments: